In-person, ONA10 conference
- Jim Brady
- Jon Dube
- Meredith Artley
- Christine Montgomery
- Ken Sands
- Jody Brannon
- Amy Webb
- Liz Lufkin
- Neil Budde
- Anthony Moor
- Cory Tolbert Haik
- Dick Meyer
- Jane McDonnell (Executive Director)
- Jonathan Hart (Counsel)
Not in attendance
- Jeanne Brooks (Community Engagement Manager)
- Sean Connolly (Editor, Journalists.org)
- September minutes were approved.
- The 2010 conference and attendance was discussed by the Board. Jane McDonnell gave early estimates of 1200 people on Friday, Oct. 29. Survey to attendees and a conference ‘by the numbers’ email forthcoming by Jane.
- Discussion of the 2011 conference in Boston around location, number of potential attendees based on 2010 success and if we should offer more registrations. Neil Budde to do an analysis of the cost benefit. Conversation by Board of a possible mid-year event for executives. Advisory Board to discuss.
- Personnel: Jane officially announced two new full-time staffers to ONA, Jeanne Brooks, Community Engagement Manager and Sean Connolly, Editor, Journalists.org
- Sponsorship revenue from the 2010 conference was in the black. The board discussed this and the potential for 2011.
- Advisory Board update from Amy Webb. The Advisory Board met ahead of the 2010 conference and discussed several initiatives that the ONA Board is taking under consideration. The Executive committee will be involved in the upcoming calls set with the Advisory Board.
- The January 2011 board meeting was discussed and is planned in San Francisco (Liz Lufkin and Anthony Moor).
- Meredith Artley gave an update on the website committee and talked about the strategy around the ONA site redesign and the project timeline.
- The Board discussed nominations and elections for the ONA board and how to potentially execute voting next year during the conference. The Board will evaluate whether voting opening during the 2010 conference and running for two weeks was a success, post-election. The Board also discussed key committee roles and how to keep forward motion in these areas with the potential arrival of new Board members.
- An update on ONA partnerships from Christine Montgomery on allowing time at the Jan. 2011 in-person Board meeting to discuss this strategically at length.
- Anthony Moor lead a discussion on 2010 OJAs and got feedback from the Board to look to 2011. There was a discussion around the video presentation of the award ceremony as well as the criteria and makeup of the award judges. Katie King and Anthony will do some committee work to talk about best way to approach the international category.
- Katie King gave an update on the international committee, the country chairs and their meeting during the 2010 conference.
The meeting ended at noon.