The Rio Hotel, Las Vegas
- Jon Dube
- Jody Brannon
- Tom Brew
- Christine Montgomery
- Denise Polverine
- Anthony Moor
- Kinsey Wilson
- Neil Budde
- Jim Brady
- Katharine Fong
- Lori Schwab (Executive Director)
- Teresa Hanafin (part of day)
- Ju-Don Roberts
- Ken Sands
- Dick Meyer
Strategy/Mission: The board discussed our strategy and mission to make sure we are on track with both. The board talked about the need to communicate the member benefits to current and potential members.
Some items/issues discussed:
- One of the member benefits continues to be the built-in network of online journalists.
- Web site: The board discussed the upcoming updates to our current web site design. The site needs to connecting journalists, promote and demonstrate the best work and as a group we need to continue to drive innovation.
- Challenges that our industry is facing now: Need for training, how to deal with changes in the newsroom, how to prepare for future, how to take advantage of the strong networking community.
Grants: The board discussed the current status of grant proposals.
Fundraising: The board discussed several key areas for fundraising, including the Development campaign, membership drives, possible investment strategies and more.
Partnerships: Various board members have been making headway in forming new partnerships/relationships but we are open to other suggestions from the board and membership. Board members Jim Brady and Dick Meyer going to follow up on this.
Awards: The awards committee has sent an email to potential screeners and an email blast went out to remind members to submit entries.
Membership: The membership committee is exploring magazines and television and what those online journalists may need. The committee is also looking at offering new, interactive and multimedia services to members (podcasts, video, etc.).
Educators: Jody Brannon is now handling this committee. She is getting a lot of interest from educators.
Conference: Amy Webb and Ju-Don Roberts (via phone) gave the board an extensive update.
- Katharine is still seeking keynote speakers.
- Student newsrooms: This is being planned again. We are getting a lot of feedback from students on this.
Misc. Topics Discussed:
- Corporate memberships: Jim Brady proposed how corporate memberships could work. The board discussed and Jim will get back to the board with more information.
Awards Partner: The board continues to discuss forming a partnership with a university. Executive Session: The board met in executive session.
The meeting was adjourned at 5 p.m. PDT.