Board members in attendance: Justina Sharp (Student Representative), P. Kim Bui, Eric Carvin, Rubina Madan Fillion, Rodney Gibbs, Josh Hatch, Charo Henriquez, Imaeyen Ibanga, Mandy Jenkins, Celeste LeCompte, Greg Linch, Nathalie Malinarich, Shazna Nessa, Niketa Patel, Ebony Reed (by phone), Versha Sharma, David Smydra.
Board members not present: Benét Wilson.
Also present: Nell Edgington, Social Velocity; Alison Schary, Davis, Wright Tremaine, General Counsel; Josh Hatch, former board member; Greg Linch, former board member; Elite Truong, former board member.
Staff in attendance: Irving Washington, Executive Director; Trevor Knoblich, Head of Programs and Events; Jessica Strelitz, Head of Strategic Partnerships, ; Bill Brady Strategic Partnerships Coordinator, Jen Mizgata, Director of Programs; Adam Nekola, Senior Digital Manager; Meghan Murphy, Senior Manager, Communities and Local Journalism Initiatives; Karolle Rabarison, Communications Manager; Diana Lopez, Administrative Assistant.
The meeting was called to order at 9:03 a.m. ET
- Irving and Mandy discussed our prior strategic plans in 2013, and in 2015. In 2017, we looked at our strategic frameworks.
- Nell led the board in an overview and discussion of the proposed strategic plan, including: A new mission, vision and values statement; new areas of focus; goals and objectives through 2021; Theory of Change (target populations, external context, outcomes and activities).
- The board discussed the strategic plan and personnel matters in executive session.
- The board unanimously approved moving forward on the goals of the strategic plan.
- The board voted on the 2019 executive committee.
- David revealed ONA’s operating efficiency ratios and others to benchmark ONA’s financial health.
- The board also reviewed assets and revenue flows. 2019 budgeted and projected revenue was reviewed.
- The board unanimously approved the 2019 budget.
- New committees were outlined:
- Awards and Recognition
- Community and Education
- Legal Affairs, News Ethics and Standards Committee
- Executive and Financial Oversight Committee
- The board will sign up for committees in the next week.
- The board discussed the state on digital media.
The meeting ended at 4:36 p.m. ET.
The next call date has not been set yet.
These minutes are submitted by Secretary P. Kim Bui