The Women’s Leadership Accelerator empowers women in digital journalism.
The program supercharges the leadership and management skills of women who are pushing digital innovation. We provide connections, training and practical tools to women though our intensive, cohort-based program and through workshops, trainings and events aimed at the broader journalism community.
The application period for the 2022 Cohort is now closed.
Once the selection process is complete, 26 women leaders in digital journalism will receive yearlong support to level up their careers.
About the Program
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator offers an intensive program of mentoring, discussion and learning from some of the top minds in digital media. Participants work closely with mentors on challenges unique to their careers and also receive support and coaching from ONA throughout the year.
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator provides:
- A virtual kickoff workshop in March and an in-person cohort gathering in May or June, focused on hands-on personal and professional work; candid discussions about leadership, work-life balance and problem-solving in the newsroom; deep dives on developing leadership and management skills; and one-on-one mentoring from industry leaders
- A year of check-ins and practical, targeted guidance and personal coaching on individual challenges
- Registration to the Online News Association Conference (ONA22)
- A half-day workshop closing workshop for the cohort in September 2022, in coordination with ONA22
- The opportunity to be a part of a cohort of peers to serve as a strong career-long support system
- Nov. 3, 2021: Applications open
- Nov. 30, 2021: Applications close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (4:59 UTC)
- Spring 2022: Cohort announced
- Week of March 28: Kickoff workshop (virtual)
- May or June: In-person workshop in Los Angeles (exact dates to be confirmed)
- Week of Sept. 18: Closing workshop during ONA22 in Los Angeles
The Women's Leadership program began in 2015 and has evolved to be a year-long cohort experience. Each year, we welcome a cohort of women representing a range of backgrounds, expertise and newsrooms around the globe to our intensive program. Learn about the past programs, including previous cohorts, speakers, sponsors and programming.
We’ve created these online sessions for women in leadership roles based on the feedback we’ve received from hundreds of women who’ve participated in our events. Register for this year's three-event series now. All four 2020 events are available on-demand.
News and Updates
The ONA Women's Leadership Accelerator has featured an excellent array of industry leaders and inspirational voices to shepherd our cohorts through their time in the program.