The Women’s Leadership Accelerator is a yearlong intensive program that supercharges the leadership and management skills of women who are pushing digital innovation. Each year we welcome a cohort of women representing a range of backgrounds, expertise and newsrooms around the globe.
2020 Applications are now closed
The Women's Leadership Accelerator review committee will be choosing the 26 participants for a transformative program of coaching, support and development. The application deadline was Oct. 31. Selected applicants will be notified by early January.
About the Program
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator kicks off at the University of California Los Angeles with an intensive week of mentoring, discussion and learning from some of the top minds in digital media. Participants work closely with mentors on challenges unique to their careers and also receive support and coaching from ONA throughout the year.
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator provides:
- A week of hands-on personal and professional work; candid discussions about leadership, work-life balance and problem-solving in the newsroom; deep dives on developing leadership and management skills; inspiring visits to digital media organizations; and one-on-one mentoring from industry leaders.
- A year of check-ins and practical, targeted guidance and personal coaching on individual challenges.
- Registration, travel and accommodations for the 2020 Online News Association Conference (ONA20) in Atlanta.
- A half-day workshop for women in the program during ONA20.
- The opportunity to be a part of a cohort of peers to serve as a strong career-long support system.
The program culminates in a workshop at ONA’s annual conference.
- Oct. 2, 2019: Applications open
- Oct. 31, 2019: Applications close at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time
- January 2020: Cohort announced
- March 1-6, 2020: Accelerator at the University of California Los Angeles
- Oct. 3, 2020: Final workshop at ONA20 annual conference in Atlanta
Opportunities for the community
Outside the cohort, ONA shares the lessons from the Women’s Leadership Accelerator through other programming and events, including collaboration with ONA Local, ONA’s annual conference and training in partnership with other organizations.
In addition, you can connect with alumnae of the Women’s Leadership Accelerator through free one-on-one coaching on digitalwomenleaders.com. Over 60 women, including ONA Director of Programs Jennifer Mizgata, offer free coaching sessions to support other women in digital journalism with leadership and management tips, career advice and feedback on their work.
Subscribe to the ONA Weekly newsletter to receive announcements about other opportunities.
Resources and News
The Women's Leadership program began in 2015 and has evolved to be a year-long cohort experience. Learn about the past programs, including previous cohorts, speakers, sponsors and programming.
The ONA Women's Leadership Accelerator has featured an excellent array of industry leaders and inspirational voices to shepherd our cohorts through their time in the program.