Board members in attendance: Meredith Artley, Michelle Baruchman (Student Representative), P. Kim Bui, Eric Carvin, Josh Hatch, Steve Hermann, Imaeyen Ibanga, Mandy Jenkins, Celeste LeCompte, Greg Linch, Elite Truong, Benét Wilson, Jose Zamora.
Board members not present: David Cohn, David Skok, David Smydra
Staff in attendance: Irving Washington, Executive Director; Trevor Knoblich, Head of Programs and Events; Jen Mizgata, Director of Programs; Adam Nekola, Senior Digital Manager; Meghan Murphy, Community Manager.
Staff not present: Jessica Strelitz, Head of Strategic Partnerships; Karolle Rabarison,
The meeting was called to order at 1:03 p.m.
The board unanimously approved the minutes for the September board call
- Needed time to reconcile the numbers. Did very well on the revenue side.
- Attendees: 11% people of color, 13% international, 57% were women
- 1400 first-time attendees, which was half of this year’s attendees
- Attendees thought it was a worthwhile conference
- Question about why the need for a broadcast board member was so high on the list of needs
- Board has tended to be more print-focused
- There is a Broadcast Facebook group, more outreach and a sponsored broadcast breakfast
- See people moving from online media to broadcast stations
- People don’t have to be on the board to be a committee chair
- Need to look at continuity
- Need to look at more geographic diversity
- Value of bringing in new board members is having new ideas
- David Smydra is named as the appointed board seat
- Will release application for student board representative
The meeting ended at 2:00 p.m. ET.
The next call will be on Friday, Dec. 15, 2017
These minutes are submitted by Secretary Benét J. Wilson