10 a.m. ET
- Denise Polverine
- Tom Brew
- Jane McDonnell
- Sherry Skalko
- Amy Webb
- Katharine Fong
- Cory Haik
- Tom Brew
- Jody Brannon
- Dick Meyer
- Christine Montgomery
- Jon Dube (Board President)
- Ken Sands
- Jim Brady
- Jane McDonnell (Executive Director)
- Sherry Skalko (Editor/webmaster, journalists.org)
Not in Attendance:
- Anthony Moor
- Ju-Don Roberts
- Katie King
- Neil Budde
Treasurer’s Report: Neil was unable to be on the call. The treasurer’s duties will soon be handed over to Jim Brady. That transition will begin in the next few weeks.
Minutes Approval: The board unanimously approved the May board meeting minutes.
Audit Update: Jane reported to the board that all of the organization’s 2008 financial materials are being reviewed. The company conducting the review will have a draft of their report ready for the board’s review in time for the next board call.
Board nominating committee: The board discussed new wording for the board member responsibilities and requirements. The board will review and approve before the call for nominations goes out.
- Expenses: Jane and Tom Regan continue to look at all expenses and trim where needed.
- Registrations: We are ahead of room bookings and registrations from this point last year.
- Wireless: Several board members voiced concern over the wireless service at the hotel. Jane will get an update on the wireless service and report back to the board.
- Sponsors: We are working to get more conference sponsors. A committee is reaching out to potential sponsors in the Bay area.
- 150 potential screeners have signed up to help in the awards process.
- Panels and speakers: Katharine Fong says they are recruiting good panelists. Liz and Katharine are guiding volunteers on this process. Students will help in newsroom and volunteer center.
- Board President, Jon Dube, asked board members to help promote the conference in many different ways, via social media and networks.
- Awards: Jane discussed that awards deadline is June 30 (which has since been extended to July 8).
- Newseum Exhibit: Jane and Jon said ONA’s exhibit at the Newseum will launch in October. Update on 10th anniversary campaign: The board continues to discuss plans for the 10th anniversary campaign.
The call was adjourned at 11 a.m. ET.