Board members in attendance: Justina Sharp (Student Representative), P. Kim Bui, Eric Carvin, Josh Hatch, Imaeyen Ibanga, Mandy Jenkins, Nathalie Malinarich, Shazna Nessa, Elite Truong, Benét Wilson, Versha Sharma, David Smydra, Greg Linch.
Board members not present: Charo Henriquez, Celeste LeCompte, Jose Zamora.
Staff in attendance: Irving Washington, Executive Director; Trevor Knoblich, Digital Director; Jessica Strelitz, Senior Manager, Strategic Partnerships; Jen Mizgata, Senior Communications Manager.
Staff not present: Karolle Rabarison, Communications Manager.
The meeting was called to order at 12:03 p.m.
The board unanimously approved the minutes for the January board meeting.
- Meghan, Irving and Trevor are at a Democracy Fund meeting at Poynter
- Adam is at SND, representing ONA
- Shazna is at FT conference on future of journalism, representing ONA
- Greg and Adam were at NICAR
Strategic Planning Update
- Committees were realigned based on strategic planning
- We need to learn more about our mission, vision and audience
- Irving has discussed with Nell Edgington, talking about theory of change model
- An ad has been posted for an administrative assistant
- An ad will go out for a partnership assistant for Jess soon
- Adam and Leah are working on how EU’s General Data Protection Regulation will affect ONA. Adam has done a training on it and will give one to staff soon
ONA Insights (Trevor)
- Registration is open and web site is up
- Program team is six people with three local leaders and Celeste
- There’s a rough program, most sessions are invite-only
- Speaker outreach underway, as is structure for the day
- Suggestion box is open
- Volunteer applications, student newsroom and suggestion box close March 29
- Program teams has had two calls, programming team is using submittable.com
- Versha is on programming committee
- Coordinating with hotel on security, discussing appropriate level of security
- Josh brought up personal and device security for attendees
Women’s Leadership Accelerator (Jen)
- Last year, a lot of work was put into expanding the program to a year-long program
- 50% of speakers and mentors were new this year
- Shazna and Kim helped
- Site visits: RYOT, KCRW and Disney’s Imagineering Studio
- Jen said work was put into the arc of the week
- Charo helped with the program
Journalism Mentorship Collaborative (Meghan and Trevor)
- There are two parts: A network of people interested in networking (there’s 107 organizations participating) and a fellowship opportunity for more in depth training
- Meghan and Trevor just got back from St. Louis from the two-day training with a 17-person cohort
- Kim and Charo are advising and came to the training, as did 4 other leadership team members
- Cohort is already working together
Journalism 360 (Irving)
- Program was renewed with $650,000: funders are Knight Foundation (3-year commitment) and Google (1-year commitment)
- Immersive Journalism Unconference will be new this year in NY in July
- More than $200,000 raised for the Women’s Leadership Accelerator, she’s continuing to raise funds for the group
- On ONA18: Prior sponsors coming through, Jess is working on sponsors for opening night at the Moody Theatre
The meeting ended at 12:51 p.m. ET.
The next call will be on April 26, 2018
These minutes are submitted by Secretary P. Kim Bui