A total of eleven candidates — six new nominees and five incumbents, representing a wide and diverse range of digital media — are running for six open seats in the 2022–23 Online News Association Board of Directors election.
There are a total of 16 seats on the ONA Board, including one appointed, non-voting student representative. Eight directors were up for re-election. The other eight members are serving their current two-year terms through 2021. The Board will appoint two additional seats for the 2022-23 term before the end of the year.
Terms are for two years and begin Jan. 1, 2022.
The 2022 ONA Board election will open on Sept. 28, 2021. At that time, ONA members as of Sept. 24 will be eligible to cast ballots. Voting closes on Oct. 18, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. PT. The eleven candidates will have the opportunity to give lightning talks during an online event in October.
- Kat Duncan, Director of Innovation, The Reynolds Journalism Institute
- Tina Korani, Assistant Professor of Media Design, San Jose State University
- Kristian Lindquist, Head of digital, Swedish Public Service Broadcaster, SVT
- Angela Pacienza, Executive Editor, The Globe and Mail
- Rachel Schwartz, Director, Content Operations, ABC Owned Television Stations
- Elana Zak, Head of newsletters, Politico
- Fergus Bell, Founder & CEO, Fathm
- Charo Henriquez*, Editor, Newsroom Development & Support, The New York Times
- Anita Li*, Founder & CEO, The Green Line
- Versha Sharma, Editor-in-Chief, Teen Vogue
- David Smydra, Senior Curation Lead, Twitter
Board member Maryanne Reed is at the end of her board term.
*Charo Henriquez and Anita Li have recused themselves from the Board’s Governance Committee and any appointment-related discussions during this election.