Here are the candidates up for election to the 2020-21 Board of Directors for the Online News Association. A total of nine candidates — five new nominees and four incumbents — are running for five open seats.
There are a total of 16 seats on the ONA Board, including one appointed, non-voting student representative. Eight members are in the middle of their terms and not up for re-election. The other eight directors are at the end of their two-year terms or appointments, including the student representative. For the 2020-21 Board term, two seats will be appointed by the Board following the election. The Board will also appoint the student representative from a pool of applications from ONA student members. Learn more about the selection of the student representative.
Terms are for two years and begin Jan. 1, 2020.
To give ONA members insight into each candidate’s views on the future of ONA and digital media, candidates presented lightning talks in an interactive session on Sept. 12, during the 2019 Online News Association Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana.
You can select any candidate bio below to get a detailed profile, a statement on why they’d like your vote.
- Charo Henríquez, Senior Editor, Digital Transition Strategy, The New York Times
- Shazna Nessa, Global Head of Visuals The Wall Street Journal
- Versha Sharma, Managing Editor and Senior Correspondent, NowThis
- David Smydra*, Head, News Product Experience, Google
*David Smydra has recused himself from the Board’s Governance Committee and any appointment-related discussions during this election.
- Fergus Bell, Founder and CEO, Dig Deeper Media
- Andrew Fitzgerald, Chief Digital Content Officer, Hearst Television
- Anita Li, Director of Communities, The Discourse
- Brad Luck, Director of Integrated Media, NBC Connecticut
- Margaret Schneider, Director of Editorial Projects, Alley
The 2020 ONA Board election opened Sept. 10, 2019. ONA members as of Sept. 8 are eligible to cast ballots. Voting will close on Sept. 26.
- Study up on the candidate slate above, which was announced on Aug. 30.
- Log into the ONA member portal and find your unique election passcode, which is only available beginning Sept. 10.
- Visit the ONA eBallot system and log in using your passcode to claim your ballot.
Cast Your Vote
In 2017, the ONA Board of Directors appointed one non-voting Student Representative to the Board for a two-year term which started on Jan. 1, 2018. More details about the selection of the student representative can be found here.