We are pleased to announce the candidates up for election to the 2022-23 Board of Directors for the Online News Association. A total of eleven candidates — six new nominees and five incumbents, representing a diverse range of digital media expertise and geographies — are running for six open seats on the Board.
There are a total of 16 seats on the ONA Board, including one appointed, non-voting student representative. Eight directors are serving their current two-year terms through 2021. The Board will appoint two additional seats for the 2022-23 term before the end of the year.
Newly elected and appointed Board members will begin their two-year terms on Jan. 1, 2022.
Explore each candidate’s profile to learn about their backgrounds and their vision for ONA.
- Angela Pacienza, Executive Editor, The Globe and Mail
- Elana Zak, Head of newsletters, Politico
- Kat Duncan, Director of Innovation, The Reynolds Journalism Institute
- Kristian Lindquist, Head of digital, Swedish Public Service Broadcaster, SVT
- Rachel Schwartz, Director, Content Operations, ABC Owned Television Stations
- Tina Korani, Assistant Professor of Media Design, San Jose State University
- Anita Li*, Founder & CEO, The Green Line
- Charo Henriquez*, Editor, Newsroom Development & Support, The New York Times
- David Smydra, Senior Curation Lead, Twitter
- Fergus Bell, Founder & CEO, Fathm
- Versha Sharma, Editor-in-Chief, Teen Vogue
Current Board member Maryanne Reed is at the end of her term. We are grateful for her service to the ONA community.
Voting will open Sept. 28 and close Oct. 18. All ONA members in good standing as of Sept. 24 are eligible to vote. Join ONA or check your membership status to ensure you are registered to vote.
We are hosting a virtual ONA Board Candidates’ Forum on Oct. 4 to give ONA members more insight into why each candidate is running for the Board and their views on the digital journalism industry. For more updates about the election and candidates’ campaigns, follow the hashtag #ONAelects.
ONA was founded in 1999 as a forum for digital news pioneers to collaborate on common challenges and encourage the highest journalistic standards. Become an ONA member or make a donation to sustain our mission to inspire and support innovation and excellence in digital journalism.