The forum happened on Wednesday, Oct. 21 at 1 p.m. EDT (UTC-4), but you can still watch the video above and learn about the candidates below.
Welcome to the candidate forum for the ’21-’22 Online News Association Board of Directors. This is your opportunity to chat with key leaders in the journalism community, and learn about their approach to balancing innovation, engagement, revenue and reporting.
Here’s how this will work:
- Candidates will join us live in the chat; please introduce yourself and ask questions!
- Each candidate also pre-recorded a 5-minute video stating their vision for journalism and, by extension, their intended service with ONA. The videos will play alongside the live chat.
- The candidate videos will remain as an archive for on-demand viewing at any time, but the chat will close shortly after the live session ends.
Suggested system requirements:
- We recommend using desktop or laptop device for the best viewing experience.
- For your web browser, Chrome or Firefox should support the video and chat.
- You’ll need internet fast enough to stream video to watch the video.
- You will not be asked to appear on camera at any time.
A total of eight candidates — four new nominees and four incumbents, representing a wide and diverse range of digital media — are running for six open seats in the 2021–22 Online News Association Board of Directors election. The ONA Board guides the association in its mission to inspire innovation and excellence among digital journalists. You can learn more about the Board elections process here.
Below, we’ve linked to each candidate’s bio.
- Rodney Gibbs, Executive Director, RevLab at The Texas Tribune
- Niketa Patel, Sr News Partnerships Manager, Twitter
- Imaeyen Ibanga, Presenter, AJ+
- Rubina Fillion, Director of Audience, The New York Times Opinion
- Susan Gonzalez, Social media strategist, Chalkbeat
- Anita Zielina, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Newmark J-School at CUNY
- Andrew Fitzgerald, Chief Digital Content Officer, Hearst Television
- Dustin Block, Audience Development Lead, Graham Media Group