Newsroom Playbook 1: Best Practices for Converting Paid Subscribers
- Digital Pay-Meter Playbook – Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy and The Lenfest Institute for Journalism
- Newsletterguide.org –A 201 guide for taking your newsletters to the next level — growing the lists, making money, and more
- The 7 Percent Rule – article by Ken Doctor on why a small fraction of visitors drive most online traffic (free registration required to read)
- Using Data Science Tools for Email Audience Analysis: A Research Guide – a report from the Shorenstein Center’s Single Subject News Engagement Project
- The 3 types of news subscribers: Why they pay and how to convert them – American Press Institute / Tran Ha
- Paths to Subscription: Why recent subscribers chose to pay for news – Media Insight Project — an initiative of the American Press Institute and the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research
- How a culture of listening strengthens reporting and relationships – American Press Institute / Cole Goins
Learn best practices for converting readers into paying subscribers and limiting dependency on advertisers. Nicco Mele, co-author of the Digital Pay-Meter Playbook and managing director at the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation will discuss a data-driven approach to crafting your strategy, as well as best practices for measuring engagement within your market. The Digital Pay-Meter Playbook was produced by the Shorenstein Center and Lenfest Institute, and is based on surveys of more than 500 for-profit newsrooms.
ONA is hosting a 3-part series on topics our community has identified as an urgent need: best practices and data for pay-meters, workflows with remote teams, and supporting journalists of color in all areas of their news organizations. The goal of this series is to equip senior managers and executives with new insights on each of these topics, as well as feel comfortable working through the resources to inform and strengthen strategic decisions.
This series has a suggested donation amount of $49 per session, or $149 for the total series. You’ll have the opportunity in the checkout cart to donate. ONA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Support for this event will be put toward scholarships for ONA20 Everywhere and other programs throughout the year.
Also included in the series are:
- Newsroom Playbook 2: Supporting Journalists of Color • June 30 • 12-1 p.m EDT
The Journalists of Color Resource Guide: the authors have created a presentation specially tailored for managers to better understand how to provide support for journalists of color in their news organizations
- Newsroom Playbook 3: Distributed Teams • July 7 • 12-1 p.m EDT
Fathm’s Distributed Newsroom Playbook – co-author Federica Cherubini will discuss workflows and support for working with remote employees.