WASHINGTON, D.C. — Members of the Online News Association, the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists, elected two new members to its Board of Directors and reelected five incumbents to two-year terms.
The newest directors, Imaeyen Ibanga, Web/Video Producer at NBC News, and Elite Truong, Product Manager, Partner Platforms, Vox Media, will join the Board Jan. 1, 2017. Click on their images below to read more about their visions for ONA.
Product Manager, Partner Platforms
“The board is thrilled to welcome Elite and Imaeyen, both of whom will bring fresh perspectives and digital expertise, as well as our re-elected colleagues as we focus on advancing ONA’s strategic vision,” said ONA Board President Joshua Hatch. “I’d also like to thank our three retiring board members — Jody Brannon, Robert Hernandez and Jim Roberts — for their years of service and contributions to ONA. They have been critical to ONA’s success and we will miss them.”
The five re-elected members are:
- Joshua Hatch, Assistant Managing Editor, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Mandy Jenkins, Head of News, Storyful, and current Board Vice President
- Greg Linch, Data Developer, McClatchy
- Benet Wilson, Owner/Editor-in-Chief, Aviation Queen LLC, and current Board Secretary
- Jose Zamora, Senior Vice President, Strategic Communications, Univision Network News.
Assistant Managing Editor
The Chronicle of Higher Education
Head of News
(current Vice President)
Aviation Queen LLC
Senior Vice President, Strategic Communications
Univision News Networks
A 16th seat, appointed by the Board to help meet specific organizational goals, will be announced shortly.
Three current directors will leave the board after their current terms expire on Dec. 31:
- Jody Brannon, Chief Intelligence Officer/Senior Product Manager, Bing News, who has served as Board Secretary and Treasurer and has been a Board member for 10 years
- Robert Hernandez, Associate Professor of Professional Practice, University of Southern California Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism
- Jim Roberts, Director, Global Digital Practice, Mercury
Serving out their current two-year terms through 2017 are:
- David Cohn, Senior Director, Alpha Group, Advance Publications and current Board Treasurer
- Meredith Artley, Editor-in-Chief, CNN Digital and past Board President
- Michelle Baruchman Student Representative, University of Georgia
- P. Kim Bui, former Deputy Managing Editor, reported.ly
- Eric Carvin, Social Media Editor, The Associated Press
- Steve Herrmann, Editorial Director, BBC Monitoring
- David Skok, former Managing Editor & Vice President, Digital, The Boston Globe
- David Smydra, Editorial Director, Google Play Newsstand
At the close of voting, 416 voters — representing 16 percent of ONA’s eligible membership of 2,601 at the time of vote start — cast votes.
Elected/re-elected to six open seats were:
We thank everyone who ran and voted, and encourage active participation in choosing ONA’s leadership in future elections.