Dear ONA Community,
As the world grapples with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the safety and wellbeing of the ONA community is our top priority.
This page includes the latest information and announcements about ONA events throughout the year. Please check back here for updates and, if you haven’t already, subscribe to the ONA Weekly newsletter.
We are monitoring guidance from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization, and association-specific resources on a daily basis. By their nature, viral outbreaks create a dynamic environment, and there is no certainty about their ultimate impact. This means our plans may change, and we’ll do our best to give as much advance notice as we can.
We are grateful to all of you working long hours to help the public stay informed and safe in such a rapidly evolving crisis. If you have any questions, requests or concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also email event attendees and partners about important updates throughout the year.
The ONA team
Updates about ONA Events (3/25/2020)
- ONA Local Events: ongoing, temporarily virtual-only. Our network of volunteer organizers host networking and training events throughout the year to connect their local journalism and tech communities. As of March 16, we have asked all ONA Local groups to move any upcoming events online or to postpone. We set up a premium Zoom account for organizers to host virtual meetings for their groups. Contact Meghan Murphy, Senior Manager or Communities and Local Journalism Initiatives, at email@example.com with any questions.
- Insights: Digital Strategy Analytics: canceled, previously scheduled for May 6 in Bergen, Norway. Insights, our deep dive event for newsroom leaders, is canceled for 2020. We plan to host another edition in 2021. We are grateful to our partners at Nordic Media Days for their support and enthusiasm as we worked to bring this unique event to Norway for the first time. You can find more information on the status of Nordic Media Days, May 6-8, on the festival website.
- 2020 Online News Association Conference & Awards Ceremony (ONA20): scheduled as planned, Sept. 30-Oct. 3 in Atlanta. We are moving forward with our plans for ONA20. We are currently accepting session and speaker pitches to the ONA 20 Suggestion Box, though the deadline has now been extended for one month to April 23.
For covering a global pandemic:
- Safety Advisory: Covering the coronavirus outbreak, Committee to Protect Journalists
- Covering COVID-19 and the coronavirus: 5 tips from a Harvard epidemiology professor, Journalist’s Resource
- Reframe: Reporting on coronavirus, Resolve Philly
- Mapping coronavirus, responsibly, arcGIS Blog
- Coronavirus: Resources for reporters, First Draft
- When should you name COVID-19 patients and other ethical decisions U.S. newsrooms will face this week, Poynter
- How journalists are working together to cover the COVID-19 pandemic, Center for Cooperative Media
For journalism educators:
- ONA Educators, Facebook group where journalism educators are sharing ideas and tools as classes move online
- @covid19globalview, Instagram feed where students are documenting their new lives during the pandemic (facilitated by Melanie Burford and Curt Chandler; teachers can reach out to get involved)
- Teaching with Zoom, Daniela Gerson
- Resources for teaching remotely, Student Press Law Center
- Journalism assignments that can be done remotely, Trusting News
- Please do a bad job of putting your courses online, Rebecca Barrett-Fox
For fun and care:
- Tips and ideas for working from home, from the ONA team
- Pandemic pantry: a list for eating well with humble ingredients, Tree Hugger
- Meditation for beginners: 10 weeks of free guided tracks, Legal Nomads
- Coffitivity, ambient sounds of a cafe
- Yoga with Adriene, free yoga videos