Ten mentors with digital skills have an opportunity to guide one or two students before and during the 2022 Online News Association conference, working one-on-one with them to help develop story ideas, advise coverage production and/or assist with product development.
Mentors receive free conference registration. They also have a chance to pay it forward, shaping the skills of tomorrow’s leaders in digital journalism.
Applications for mentors are open from March 31 to April 21. Student applications will open in May.
- Helping students plan their work before and during the conference and editing their work.
- Providing direct support to one or more students.
- Attending meetings and working assigned shifts on the day before the conference and throughout its duration, Wednesday, Sept. 21, through Saturday, Sept. 24. (When you’re off the clock you’ll be free to attend and enjoy the programming!)
- It’s a demanding but highly rewarding job.
- Volunteers should have a background in journalism, teaching, mentoring or training. Prior mentoring experience is ideal. You don’t need to know how to do every job in the digital newsroom, but you do need to know how to work with a team and facilitate experiential learning.
- Must be able to participate in conference calls and planning meetings prior to the conference.
- Must be able to participate during the entire program dates: Sept. 20 – 24, 2022, in Los Angeles.
- Complimentary ONA22 Conference Registration and OJA Banquet ticket.
- Some meals included.
- Taking part in shaping the skills and outlook of tomorrow’s leaders in digital journalism.
For questions about the process, email ONA Program Coordinator Diana López at firstname.lastname@example.org.