The Journalism 360 Unconference is a unique opportunity to connect creators, producers, newsroom leaders, and technologists in the immersive storytelling space. It’s the only conference of its kind to focus on newsroom practices and innovations within virtual, augmented and mixed reality, as well as 360 video.
Demos + drinks
Tuesday, July 24, 6-9 p.m. — VR World
Tuesday evening features demos from the 2017 Journalism 360 Challenge winners, including VR and AR projects from these organizations and others:
- USA Today/The Arizona Republic
- The Washington Post
- New Cave Media
- Northwestern University
- The Outliers Collective
- CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
- Arizona State University
- University of British Columbia
The evening will also be an opportunity to mix and mingle with immersive creators and pitch session ideas for the unconference to follow on Wednesday.
- 6-6:30 p.m.: Arrival and check in
- 6:30 p.m.: Welcome
- 6:45-7:45 p.m.: Lightning talks from grantees
- 7:45-9 p.m.: Mingling and demos; light refreshments provided
Journalism 360 unconference
Wednesday, July 25, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. – CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
Wednesday is a full day of programming on immersive storytelling and journalism. We’ll bring leaders in the immersive space together to share ideas on a variety of topics facing editors, producers, and creators working in VR, AR, and MR/XR. We will also incorporate breakout sessions and lightning talks pitched by you! A light breakfast and lunch will be served. Registration for the Journalism 360 Unconference is $35, and includes a complimentary ticket to the demos on Tuesday.
We hope you’ll be able to join us for this fresh look at journalism through the lens of immersive content.
- 8:30-9 a.m.: Check-in and breakfast
- 9:15 a.m.: Welcome remarks
- 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.: Keynote: The state of immersive storytelling in journalism; Jeremy Gilbert (Washington Post) and Zillah Watson (BBC)
- 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.: Breakout sessions
- 12-1 p.m.: Lunch and demos
- 1-2:15 p.m.: First round of Table Talks
- 2:15 p.m.: Coffee break and snacks
- 2:45-4 p.m.: Second round of Table Talks
- 4-4:20 p.m.: Takeaways and feedback from groups
- 4:20- 4:45 p.m.: Collaboration planning time
- 4:45 p.m.: Closing
Please note: You do not need to be registered for the full conference to join us for the demo day, but you do need to purchase a ticket via Eventbrite.