The Online Journalism Awards (OJAs) honor excellence in digital journalism and provide a platform for industry peers to recognize and celebrate each other.
Part of what makes the OJAs such a unique and highly esteemed honor is the process and people behind it. It starts with the community’s input and the collective expertise of journalists, academics, and media professionals from around the world.
With that expertise, we depend on 150 volunteers to help us review nearly 1,000 submissions. Those entries are reviewed by a diverse set of journalism professionals who work in all aspects of the industry–from reporters, editors and designers to product managers and data journalists.
We’re seeking volunteer screeners to review these entries, passing their collective recommendations along to the OJA jury, which will select the winners in August.
- Reviewing approximately 20-25 entries.
- Provide comments and scores to entries based on the guidelines we provide.
- Must have a passion for digital journalism
- Must be able to commit 10-15 hours to review entries June 19-July 6.
- An opportunity to review some of the best digital journalism work in the world.
- A meaningful volunteer experience.
If you’re interested in participating, please apply online by June 4. To reflect the full breadth of the industry, those working for local organizations as well as national and international groups are encouraged to participate. Screeners will be assigned entries the week of June 19 and have approximately three weeks to review their assignments.
On behalf of the OJA committee and the entire ONA community, thank you in advance!
* Which reminds us! All entries are due by June 8. Unlike past years, we are not extending the submission deadline in 2017.
Join the conversation about the OJAs with #OJA17.