Voting for the 2017 Board of Directors for the Online News Association is open Sept. 13-30. ONA members in good standing as of Sept. 12 can help shape the future of the the world’s largest digital journalism organization with your vote.
To vote, members should head over to ONA’s member center to access their credentials for the voting platform. Members will see their credentials as soon as they log in. Voting will close Sept. 30 and winners will be announced in October.
All 18 candidates will be in attendance at the 2016 Online News Association Conference in Denver and will share their thoughts on digital journalism during the Story, Platform and Design: Digital Journalism Insights + VIP Meetup, on Thursday, Sept. 15 at 4 p.m. MT. We’ll be live-streaming the event and archiving video for those who can’t attend. Send your questions in advance using #onaelects.
A total of 18 candidates — 13 new nominees and five incumbents, representing a wide and diverse range of digital media — are running for seven open seats.
In the voting platform, voters can click on the icon next to candidates’ photos on the ballot page to find out more about them and read their nomination and vision statements.
There are a total of 16 seats on the ONA Board; one is an appointed, non-voting student representative. For the 2017-18 Board term, there are eight seats open, with one seat reserved for appointment to address needs as determined by the Board, leaving seven seats open for election. Terms are for two years and begin Jan. 1, 2017.
- Sara Catania, Editorial Director, Zócalo Public Square
- Julia B. Chan, Digital Editor, Reveal / Center for Investigative Reporting
- Paul Cheung, Director of Interactive & Digital News Production, AP
- Dan Gilgoff, Executive Director, Digital, National Geographic
- Imaeyen Ibanga, Web/Video Producer, NBC News
- Celeste LeCompte, Director of Business Development, ProPublica
- Marian Liu, Online Entertainment Editor, Sun Sentinel
- Geraldine Moriba, Executive Producer, Program Development and VP of Diversity, CNN
- Penny Riordan, Director of Digital Content Partnerships, Gatehouse Media
- Martha Stone, CEO, World Newsmedia Network
- Meena Thiruvengadam, Head of Audience Development, Business Insider
- Elite Truong, Product Manager, Partner Platforms, Vox Media
- Timothy Wong, Sr. Director, UX Architecture, Gannett
- Joshua Hatch, Assistant Managing Editor, Data and Interactives, Chronicle of Higher Education, ONA President
- Mandy Jenkins, Head of News, Storyful, ONA Vice President
- Greg Linch, Data Developer, McClatchy DC
- Benét Wilson, Owner/Editor-In-Chief, Aviation Queen LLC, ONA Secretary
- Jose Zamora, Vice President for Strategic Communications, Univision News Networks