The Online News Association is the world’s largest association of digital journalists, and we’re looking for the next person to lead it. We need an energetic, entrepreneurial and visionary leader to fulfill our mission: inspiring innovation and excellence among journalists to better serve the public.
The next executive director will build on the success and growth the organization has seen in recent years, including a multimillion-dollar budget and oversight of six staff and a team of consultants. Key duties include:
- Develop and execute strategic plans.
- Work closely with the governing Board of Directors.
- Work with funders to develop, support and fulfill mission-oriented programs.
- Oversee live events and the annual Online Journalism Awards ceremony.
- Develop and adhere to a budget.
- Communicate with members, the Board of Directors, funders and the public.
This position requires at least five years of management experience, tested leadership skills, financial acumen, development experience and a passion for digital journalism.
Additional requirements include:
- Proven success in coordinating and growing diverse communities;
- Ability to contribute to short- and long-term organizational planning and strategy;
- Excellent organizational skills, able to plan ahead, communicate and consistently meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse membership; strong writing and analytical skills;
- Strong experience planning events or training programs;
- Strong experience working with data and Excel;
- Journalism experience, or experience working with journalists;
- Professional, personable presence with an ability to act as an ONA ambassador to members, funders, and the public;
- High level of individual initiative required, including ability to work without supervision, resolve practical problems independently, multitask and prioritize activities;
- Collaborative attitude, ability to be flexible in a team environment;
- Patience, strong service ethic and a sense of humor; and
- Ability to travel often.
Benefits include paid medical, dental and vacation, 401K plan, a competitive salary, and the ability to work remotely as needed.
This position in based in NPR’s Washington, D.C., office. To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications must be received by July 31, 2016.