- ONA PDX hosts a free workshop on the future of photography in the digital age with Randy Cox, former senior editor for visuals at The Oregonian, Oct. 17.
- ONA San Diego invites you to the first Brown Bag Thursdays, which looks into blogging as a business, Oct. 18.
- ONA Austin discusses covering the Circuit of the Americas with the folks behind the Austin American-Statesman’s Formula One coverage and theaustingrandprix.com, Oct. 22.
- ONA DC hosts a discussion with Miranda Mulligan and Ryan Graff from the Knight Lab, highlighting projects the computer scientists and journalists are building at the lab, Oct. 23.
- ONA Chicago will teach journalists how to crowdsource typos and more with Edit Huddle, welcoming Adam Bain, co-founder of the crowdsourced editing tool, Oct. 25.
- ONA Philly delves into the changing world of college media, looking at how young reporters at four local universities are rethinking the industry, Oct. 25. The event is open to all but may be of special interest to educators.
Keep an eye out for Board of Directors election results
Voting for the 2013 Board of Directors closed Thursday, Oct. 11. We’re busy confirming results and contacting the candidates, and election results will be announced Monday, Oct. 22.
Save the Date: ONACamp Minnesota
We're heading to the University of Minnesota Dec. 1 to host ONACamp Minnesota, a full-day of workshops and training. ONACamps are free intensive digital journalism training sessions funded by generous renewed grants from the Gannett Foundation. We'll be announcing the program and opening registration soon.
Check out the great opportunities friends of ONA are offering around the world and online:
Dive into Data: Free webinar with Lisa Williams
The Knight Digital Media Center offers a free webinar with Lisa Williams, CEO and founder of PlaceBlogger.com, who will showcase data visualizations and provide a foundation for working with data. Learn more and register here.
Google Hangout: Reporting the election
The National Press Foundation hosts a Google Hangout from 11 a.m. to noon ET Oct. 30 with Daniel Sieberg, Google’s Manager of Media Outreach, and Olivia Ma, YouTube News Manager. Ma recently presented at ONA12 on election tools, and we know she’ll have lots of tips for you. Register here.
Press Freedom Panel on online security
The National Press Club’s Press Freedom Committee is hosting a free panel to discuss the security risks for journalists working online, Oct. 24 at 6:30 p.m. ET, at the Club’s headquarters in D.C.
Symposium on Student First Amendment Rights
UNC-Chapel Hill is hosting a two-day symposium Nov. 8-9 to examine the impact of Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, the case that greatly reduced the level of First Amendment protection for journalists in public schools. With the 25-year anniversary of the law approaching, the symposium will address how increased censorship has diminished civic engagement. Registration information is available here.
Portugal conference addresses mobile technology + journalism
If you’re Interested in how media can make the most of mobile and you’re located in Latin America, Spain or Portugal, The University of Beira Interior’s LabCom hosts The International Congress: Journalism and Mobile Devices Nov. 18 and 19 in Covilha, Portugal. Registration is ongoing and free, but subject to confirmation. To register, see the conference website.