BOSTON — Voting for the 2012 Board of Directors for the Online News Association opens today as the world’s largest digital journalism organization celebrates its sold-out annual conference.
Elections will once again open during the first day of the 2011 Online News Association Conference & Awards Banquet. Candidates are invited to mingle with voting members in attendance at ONA11 at a Meet the Board and Candidates forum. They are also encouraged to use the social networking tools at their disposal to tell voters how they will help ONA move forward into its next decade.
All ONA members in good standing as of Sept. 20, 2011, are eligible to vote at https://vod.votenet.com/onaboardofdirectors. Voters can click on the icon next to candidates’ photos on the ballot page to find out more about them and read their nomination statements.
Your login information for voting has been emailed to your email address associated with your ONA membership. Your username is your ONA member username, and your password is a randomly-generated password included in that email. If you have trouble signing in to the voting site, email email@example.com to request your password.
Voting will close Oct. 13 at 5 p.m. ET. Elected board members will be announced Oct. 20.
Under the bylaws, the board may be comprised of up to 15 voting members. For the 2012-13 terms, eight seats will be filled by incumbent board members who are completing the second year of their terms, leaving seven seats open. One seat will be filled by appointment to ensure international representation, leaving six seats open.
There are seven new candidates and six incumbents running for those six seats.
Here is the slate; head to journalists.org to find out more about the candidates and read their nomination statements.
- Steve Fox, Lecturer/Multimedia Journalism Coordinator, University of Massachusetts
- Chrystia Freeland, Editor, Thomson Reuters Digital, Thomson Reuters
- Burt Herman, CEO and founder, Storify and Hacks/Hackers
- John Keefe, News Director, WNYC Radio
- Jim Roberts, Assistant Managing Editor, The New York Times
- Evan Smith, CEO & Editor in Chief, The Texas Tribune
- Juana Summers, Political Reporter, POLITICO
- Meredith Artley, Vice President & Managing Editor, CNN Digital
- Jim Brady, Editor, Head, Project Thunderdome, Journal Register Company (ONA Board Vice President)
- Liz Lufkin, Vice President Front Page Programming, Yahoo!
- Christine Montgomery, Managing Editor, PBS.org (ONA Board President)
- Anthony Moor, Managing Editor, Local, Yahoo!
- Ken Sands, Site Manager, Bloomberg Government
The nominating committee included Chair Teresa Hanafin, Director of User Engagement, Boston.com / The Boston Globe, and Bruce Koon, News Director, KQED Public Radio, both former ONA Board members.
The Online News Association is the world’s largest association of online journalists. ONA’s mission is to inspire innovation and excellence among journalists to better serve the public. The membership includes news writers, producers, designers, editors, bloggers, technologists, photographers, academics, students and others who produce and distribute news for digital delivery systems. ONA also hosts the annual Online News Association annual conference and administers the Online Journalism Awards.