We’re happy to announce the slate of nominees for the 2012 Board of Directors for the Online News Association.
Under the bylaws, the board may be comprised of up to 15 voting members. For 2011, eight seats will be filled by incumbent board members who are completing the second year of their terms, leaving seven seats up for the 2011-13 Board term. One seat will be filled by appointment to ensure international representation, leaving six seats open.
There are seven new candidates and six incumbents running for those six seats.
To be sure to give all candidates time to present their vision for ONA, elections will once again open during the first day of the 2011 Online News Association Conference & Awards Banquet, Friday, Sept. 23, and close Oct. 13. Candidates also will be invited to mingle with voting members in attendance at ONA11 at a Meet the Board and Candidates forum.
During the campaign, ONA will host a candidate chat in early September. Candidates also will be encouraged to use any and all social networking tools at their disposal to tell voters how they will help ONA move forward into its next decade.
Here is the slate; head to journalists.org to find out more about the candidates and read their nomination statements.
- Steve Fox, Lecturer/Multimedia Journalism Coordinator, University of Massachusetts
- Chrystia Freeland, Editor, Thomson Reuters Digital, Thomson Reuters
- Burt Herman, CEO and founder, Storify and Hacks/Hackers
- John Keefe, News Director, WNYC Radio
- Jim Roberts, Assistant Managing Editor, The New York Times
- Evan Smith, CEO & Editor in Chief, The Texas Tribune
- Juana Summers, Political Reporter, POLITICO
- Meredith Artley, Vice President & Managing Editor, CNN Digital
- Jim Brady, Editor, Head, Project Thunderdome, Journal Register Company (ONA Board Vice President)
- Liz Lufkin, Vice President Front Page Programming, Yahoo!
- Christine Montgomery, Managing Editor, PBS.org (ONA Board President)
- Anthony Moor, Managing Editor, Local, Yahoo!
- Ken Sands, Site Manager, Bloomberg Government
Voting will open Sept. 23, 12:01 a.m., and close Oct. Oct. 13, 5 p.m. ET. All ONA members in good standing as of Sept. 20, 2011, are eligible to vote. Elected board members will be announced Oct. 20.
Our deepest thanks to our nominating committee: Chair Teresa Hanafin, Director of User Engagement, Boston.com / The Boston Globe, and Bruce Koon, News Director, KQED Public Radio, both former ONA Board members.
Good luck to the nominees, and, as always, we thank our members for your participation in this important process — and for being a vital part of our growing digital community.