The Online News Association, the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists, has an exciting opportunity for a consulting Scholarship Manager to coordinate the selection process for a high-dollar scholarship supported by two major media and technology companies.
The Scholarship Manager will design and administer the selection process for the scholarship, currently anticipated to be a two-year, $240,000 need- and diversity-based program. Scholarship support will be provided in 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years directly to students who are doing exceptional collegiate work at the intersection of technology and journalism. This position will be the main point of contact for scholarship candidates and recipients.
The Manager will work virtually with ONA staff, including the Executive Director and Web Editor, to administer the program on the approved timetable, guided by policy set by a Scholarship Committee comprised of company and ONA representatives. Minimal in-person meetings and travel required.
ONA is a journalism nonprofit 501(c)(3) comprised of game-changing digital journalists and small, dynamic staff, leading the way for media in the digital age.
Consulting Fee: $25,000 per year for two years.
Location: This assignment is virtual, but we prefer candidates be located in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
Qualifications and requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum 3 years’ experience working in or familiarity with scholarship management or financial aid
• A proven record of working in an academic setting with students; journalism background preferred.
• Proven task management skills
• Proven ability to work independently with minimal direction, as well as in a small team, operate under pressure, deliver high-quality work within deadlines, share knowledge and experience and meet team objectives
• Ability to interact productively with partners
• Strong conceptual skills, with the ability to think strategically
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential, with Spanish desired
• Knowledgeable about computer systems and software, particularly scholarship database systems, and familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Google Docs preferred
• Familiarity with social networks a plus
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to manage numerous tasks at one time
• Experience in working with diverse cultures
• Proven ability to accomplish defined goals and objectives
Overview: Coordinate the selection of candidates for the Scholars Program, including helping to set up criteria, prepare application packages and help prepare digital and print promotional materials, review applications, work with Committee to select finalists, prepare letters of award, maintain database and follow up with selected candidates.
• Create and update the scholarship criteria and application form with the advice and consent of the Scholarship Committee
• Handle scholarship calls and e-mails, responding to inquiries quickly and appropriately
• Distribute criteria and application forms to media, communications, computer science and journalism departments at domestic public and private colleges and universities, as well as student and academic media advisers databases
• Implement and maintain the scholarship database to track and report data
• Contribute information for the website and social networks as necessary
• Notify all recipients and non-recipients
• Ensure the delivery of scholarship benefits to scholars studying across the U.S., including supervising payments for tuition
• Prepare a written profile of each current recipient for distribution on marketing channels, and at the ONA annual conference
• Follow up with scholars on project progress as applicable, including but not limited to, retention and graduation rates, transfer rates, final degree attainment, and employment
• Submit a concise report to the Committee, including data on current applicants, a brief profile of each recipient and a summary of the scholarship program history
• Contribute to the annual assessment of the program
• Maintain records of scholarship activities that give an accurate description of practices and procedures
Send cover letter focusing on your specific experience for this position, resume or CV and the names and phone numbers of three professional references to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.