Emily is director of the Quartz Bot Studio and one of the world’s foremost experts on designing and writing for conversational interfaces. At the Bot Studio, she creates interactive, narrative experiences for text and voice. Her work examines how people and bots interact, and how to build meaningful relationships with audiences on emerging platforms. Prior to joining Quartz, she was a professor at Northwestern University for six years, and before that, she worked for The A.V. Club and McKinsey & Company. Withrow spends much of her free time talking with robots, rock climbing, and researching recipes she will eventually abandon for nachos.
- Career Advice From the Women’s Leadership Accelerator — ONA19, September 11, 2019
- Design and Build a Voice Experience: A Workshop in Two Parts — ONA19, September 11, 2019
- Making the (Internal) Case for New Products and Experiments — ONA18, September 12, 2018
- How Bots are Deepening Relationships with Readers — ONA17, September 18, 2017
- Planning Chat for Scale by Predicting a Two-Way Conversation — ONA16, September 17, 2016