You can make amazing infographics to enhance your website , article or blog using Excel. What better way to breakdown information from your story than to allow your readers to visualize it using an infographic. You don’t have to be a designer, pay someone to build them for you, or send it to the design department, you can do it yourself.
Taught at the Microsoft Store Fashion Valley by one of their instructors, this is a great way to get start building infographics yourself.
Join ONA for an honest talk about the erosion of the once well fortified wall between advertising and journalists/bloggers. What, if any, role has convergence played in this change? Does the separation matter as much as it used to?
Join us for an interesting chat that not only looks at how the line has blurred, but how to increase income, clicks, etc. on your blog or work site by using offline events.
Our speaker is Sean Monzet, the Director of Integrated Media at NBC/Comcast’s owned and operated station in San Diego, NBC 7.
Sean comes from a family of Media & Advertising professionals from New York City. He and his wife Melissa moved to San Diego on a whim back in September of 2000 and never looked back.
Currently Sean manages the marketing, content and sales of NBC 7 San Diego’s digital platforms. This includes the local music franchise “SoundDiego” and “The Goods”. With an eye on re-inventing the “local media” experience, Sean is constantly managing redesigns, enhancements, and new product launches across NBC 7’s digital platforms. Sean was listed as one of the 50 People to Watch in 2011 by San Diego Magazine.
NBC 7 San Diego is one of ten NBC/Comcast Owned and Operated TV Stations. Sean regularly communicates best practices in digital media strategy with his counterparts across the country.
Some of Sean’s accomplishments include:
Responsible for revenue, audience, & Social Media growth of NBC 7 San Diego digital platforms.
• Developed & executed strategy to capture largest Social Media audience in San Diego.
• Founded SoundDiego music franchise, NBC 7’s largest digital revenue initiative.
• Associate Producer of SoundDiego TV – airs Saturday 1am after SNL.
• Work closely with news management, on-air talent & producers to increase communication & collaboration between traditional & digital teams. Develop Social integration strategy for programming.
• Grew NBC7.com audience 20% YTY, streamlined video publishing workflow to increase video views 20%.
• Lead digital and Social discussion at weekly sales meetings, working closely w/ Acct Execs to grow digital billing 4 consecutive years.
• Run weekly digital strategy meeting encompassing news/content, Social, marketing/promotions & revenue.
• Collaborate with Product, Tech, Research, Marketing & Sales to launch digital franchises & apps.
• Manage sales, marketing, & Social strategy of The Goods, NBC 7 San Diego’s daily deal/ecommerce platform.
• Expertise in email newsletter content strategy & growth
SEO and content, the two go hand-in-hand like peanut butter and jelly, Sonny and Cher or hotdogs and a baseball game. Yet, every day major companies and publications crank out content by the truckload with little-to-no real understanding of how their output is affecting their online presence. All businesses want to maximize visibility online and yet few understand the principles of SEO well enough to ensure that they are capitalizing on every available opportunity to do so.
Join us on July 11th for a top-to-bottom discussion of all things content and SEO related. Learn how to:
• Properly optimize web content for search engines
• Write powerful articles and gripping headlines without sacrificing SEO goals
• Conduct keyword research for optimal search engine rankings
• Establish audience personas to better target your readers (and)
• Leverage “content marketing” for added reach, exposure and traffic
Don’t miss this exciting and forward thinking seminar on SEO with one of the area’s most prominent thought leaders, John Bertino
John Bertino is the VP, of Strategic Partnerships for Spread Effect in La Jolla, CA (www.spreadeffect.com). Spread Effect specializes in link building and content marketing and their services are utilized by the top SEO professionals and online marketing agencies across the country. Spread Effect exists solely to help the best marketing agencies and professionals be even better at what they already do every day – build links!
Previous to Spread Effect, John has worked with some of the industry’s most recognized digital marketing agencies. John has been instrumental in developing online marketing strategies for companies of ALL sizes, ranging from the local dentist to Fortune 1000 clients like Viacom and RE/MAX.
In addition to working closely with other SEOs to help them improve their link building process, John serves as an online marketing consultant and enjoys working with local businesses to help them source a trusted SEO partner that is an appropriate fit for their online marketing goals and objectives.
We are looking to bring to content creators and web developers/coders/programmers together for a hack day, the challenge – create an app or website to promote/advance open government. This challenge will give us the chance to create something new and innovative. Just example to get you thinking, Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom’s new book highlights some great apps that promote open government. Check them out here.
Friday – April 26, 2013
1 p.m. – Check in/Registration
2 p.m. Journalism Crash Course – Programmers learn the basics of journalism. Learn what makes a story, how to keep your audience engaged, and what people are interested in.
2 p.m. Programming Crash Course – Journalists learn the basics of programming. At the end of this class you will be familiar with how coding works, the amazing things you can create, and what elements you need to create a successful program.
7 p.m. – Mixer/Meet & Greet, Teams Announced
Elbow Room Bar & Grill – 5225 Kearny Villa Rd, San Diego, CA.
A new report from the Knight Foundation explores the emerging civic tech landscape, looking at themes, clusters and organizations in this space.
According to Knight Foundation, the report “aims to help organizations and investors better understand civic tech funding, so that they can strengthen their work and help shape the field. The analysis applies a new approach to research and advances the use of data in the social sector; it showcases an interactive data visualization map that allows users to explore investments across multiple areas of civic tech.”