The Online News Association is a nonprofit membership organization for digital journalists — connecting journalism, technology and innovation.
Take a look at what we do.
Online Journalism Awards
Get inspired by the outstanding finalists for the most comprehensive set of digital journalism awards.
Our annual conference is the premier gathering of highly engaged digital journalists. Denver, Sept. 15-17, at the Hyatt Regency.
Social Newsgathering Ethics Code
Explore our best practices to gather and use social news content.
Stay updated with ONA emails
Events & Opportunities
Slate announced for 2017 ONA Board of Directors electionAugust 24, 2016
ONA16 Keynote: A Fireside Chat with Facebook’s Fidji SimoAugust 22, 2016
Dow Jones Foundation grant kick-starts ONA’s new Women’s Leadership AcceleratorAugust 17, 2016
2016 Online Journalism Awards finalists announcedAugust 16, 2016
Join the sharpest minds in journalism
Become a Member
Members also receive discounts on entry fees for the Online Journalism Awards, the only annual awards competition that acknowledges the best and the brightest work in digital news, identifying and publicly honoring models of excellence for the profession.
- Career Center: ONA’s online job board, open to the entire digital journalism community, offers access to hundreds of career opportunities. Learn more.
- ONA Local meet-ups: ONA encourages and supports our members in holding regular meet-ups focused on networking, skills and career development, new technology and journalism issues. Check our our growing list of ONA Local cities and activities around the world.
- Social networks: Share, discuss and learn with other members through ONA’s Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn communities that connect educators, students, conference and local event attendees all over the world.
- ONA Issues: Have a burning journalism issue you’d like to learn more about? Join our Tumblr forum, where content — whether breaking news or cool new ideas — is constantly updated.
- ONACamps, courtesy of $150,000 in grants from the Gannett Foundation, bring free customized sessions and workshops direct to cities that are homes to growing entrepreneurial communities, as well as those hit by media closures.
- Online Media Legal Network: ONA’s partnership with the Citizen Media Law Project at Harvard University’s Berkman Center for Internet & Society points our members to free or reduced-fee legal help, including advice on forming and governing a business, copyright licensing and fair use, freelancer agreements, access to government information, pre-publication review of content and representation in litigation.
- ONAvation Webinars: These online training webinars feature future-think presenters who focus on a range of cutting-edge technologies that add depth and scope to storytelling.
Build Your Own Ethics Code
Use our interactive tool to create a code of ethics that reflects journalism practices in the digital age.
ONA Event Manager
Create custom WordPress posts for sessions and speakers using a Google spreadsheet.
A myriad of resources from our last annual conference to bring the sessions, attendees and conversations to you.