This position has been closed
The Online News Association, the world’s largest membership organization for digital journalists, is seeking training curriculum consultants who will develop curriculums for ONA Local training events, then travel to ONA Local cities to deliver these trainings.
Our network of 70 meetup groups are hubs for networking and training in local communities around the world, hosting events on digital journalism innovation year-round. The ideal candidate will be passionate about spreading access to digital skills in journalism, energetic, enterprising and creative, with a demonstrated history of providing top-tier digital training to journalists.
ONA, with its small, dynamic staff and Board of Directors composed of game-changing digital journalists, is leading the way for media in the digital age, and prides itself on innovation, collaboration and quick response to member needs. You’ll join a small but mighty team passionate about advancing innovative digital journalism.
- Developing an hour-long training session on a digital journalism skill to deliver to 15-40 journalists
- Working with ONA staff to strategically select five cities to deliver the training in, based on interest
- In coordination with local volunteer community leaders in each city: planning a training event, including selecting venues, drafting event descriptions for the invitations, and other logistics as needed; then traveling to the city to deliver the training
- Creating a template for the curriculum to be provided to ONA Local groups as part of a toolkit, so that other communities can replicate a similar training in the future
- Conduct one webinar or virtual training for all ONA Local communities to be invited, via Google Hangout on ONA’s channels
This position is an 8-month contract, for an estimated average of 5-10 hours per week, including planning, coordination with groups, curriculum development, travel time and event time. Scheduling is flexible, although some evening and weekend hours will be required. This position is remote, but will require phone check-ins with the Community Manager.
We’re seeking five trainers to cover regional areas across the country. Most travel will be within your region of the U.S. ONA will cover reasonable travel costs for trainers and event logistics cost such as catering, venue, materials, etc.
- Experience developing and delivering training events for digital journalists
- Experience managing events through planning and execution
- Excellent communication skills
- High level of individual initiative required, including ability to work with limited supervision and resolve problems independently
- Collaborative attitude
Stipend: $6,000 + reimbursement for reasonable travel costs
Hours: Hours per week will vary significantly, and can be flexible. Conducting training events plus travel time could add up to as much as 10 hours in a week, and weeks when no travel is required will be lighter, 1-2 hours or less per week. Some nights and weekends travel will be necessary.