The application period closed Jan. 7, 2019.
Journalism 360, a joint program from Google News Initiative, the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, and the Online News Association (ONA), is seeking a Journalism 360 Program Manager. This is a consultant position that reports to ONA.
Journalism 360 is a global network of storytellers accelerating the understanding and production of immersive journalism. Our mission is to help news organizations, journalists, technologists, content creators and journalism educators experiment with all forms of immersive storytelling, including but not limited to 360 video, augmented reality, virtual reality and mixed reality.
The Program Manager will focus on all aspects of the Journalism 360 program, including managing grants that support innovative virtual reality, augmented reality and 360 projects; planning events; building community and fostering connections between immersive storytellers.
Location: ONA is based in Washington, D.C., and this position can be remote.
This role draws on many disciplines. You do not need to be an expert in all of the following areas, but you do need to have strong qualifications in one or more:
- Grant management
- Project management
- Connections and community building
Additionally, candidates with experience in the following will be a stronger fit:
- Working with VR, AR and/or 360 projects
- Working with funders, foundations and sponsors
- Managing social media and communications channels for organizations
Events & Training
- Work with ONA’s Director of Programs to develop and implement training and events
- Build and maintain relationships with grantees, speakers, and trainers
- Arrange event logistics and ensure budgets are met, including working on venue selection, contracts and other organizational details for conferences and small networking events
- Evaluate the effectiveness of events and training
- Work with ONA’s Sr. Digital Manager to create signage and printed materials for events
- Work with ONA’s Director of Programs to manage the Journalism 360 challenge to distribute grants to storytellers with ideas that can advance the industry’s understanding of the field
- Handle grants administration, including drafting the grant agreements, monitoring budget and coordinating timelines, activities and evaluation metrics with the grantee and budgets
- Coordinate grant review process, including managing entries via our grant submission platform, organizing reviewers, and scheduling interviews with semi-finalists
- Provide support to Journalism 360 grantees and ensure that they meet reporting requirements for the grant
Communications and Engagement
- Lead development of three “how to guides” for immersive content focused on a range of experience levels
- Contribute to Journalism 360’s social media presence and newsletter, collaborating with ONA’s Communications Manager on campaigns related to Journalism 360 projects and events
- Write program grant reports
- Monitor the latest trends, personalities and posts within the immersive storytelling community
- Track successes of grantees, ambassadors and Journalism 360 events
Desired skills and capacities
- Excellent attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to expertly handle multiple priorities in a dynamic, change-oriented environment
- Passion for digital media and an understanding of emerging trends
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to work independently with a high level of individual initiative
- Strong writing and editing skills
You should have a Bachelor’s degree or above to apply for this consulting role.