The Online News Association (ONA) is on a mission to inspire and support innovation and excellence in digital journalism to better engage and inform the public. We’re looking for our next Director of Technology to build and lead our organizational web, technology and data strategy. In a highly collaborative role, you’ll leverage cutting-edge tools and analytics to grow ONA’s products and services to members, partners, media and the digital journalism community at large.
Strategy and Collaboration
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a cohesive mission-aligned digital, technology and data strategy for the organization.
- Provide direction and management for all technology across the organization, including tools, project management, internal communications, databases and infrastructure. This includes Salesforce and multiple membership, forms and event databases.
- Actively participate in business development to assess opportunities and continually evaluate new technologies and trends to increase business results.
- Proactively collaborate with programs, partnerships, communications, finance and administration departments in guiding day-to-day website, technology and data operations.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining all backend needs for the organization’s external and/or internal websites, including technical infrastructure, upkeep, formats of posts written online and troubleshooting.
- In a close working relationship with the Director of Communications, collaborate to direct work on all aspects of external-facing websites including development, editing, and maintenance of content, design and user experience.
- Implement internal processes with the Director of Communications to forecast scheduling, outline project tasks, timeline and resources, identify barriers hindering effectiveness and provide solutions for website and web-related external communications.
Data and Technology
- Collect data and analyze processes to provide business intelligence information to management, including identifying actionable insights from website, CRMs, and program and membership databases.
- Responsible for the practices, administration, policies, controls, compliance and standards to ensure security and consistency of IT systems, including websites, email security, networks, firewalls, virus protection and software applications.
- Manage a digital/technology budget and resource allocation, including management of consultants and staff, if applicable.
Type: Exempt full-time position
Reports to: Executive Director/CEO
Works closely with: Director of Communications
Direct report: None
Starting Salary range: $89,900 – $95,000
Benefits include, and are not limited to:
- Flexible hybrid and/or remote work schedules
- Paid medical, dental and vision
- Professional development (yes, we really do invest in this!)
- Competitive leave, including 36 days for vacation, sick leave and holidays.
- Competitive family-friendly benefits (parental, caretaker and bereavement)
- Milestone anniversary benefits
- 50% dependent medical care
- 401(K) plan match
- Flexible Spending Account
- Short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance plan
- Reimbursement for mobile call and data plans
- Partial gym/fitness reimbursement
→ Learn more about ONA’s employment benefits.
Location: This position is open for remote applicants. Our Headquarters are based in Washington, D.C., with opportunity for space in NPR’s offices when conditions permit
Mission, Vision and Values: ONA’s mission, vision and values are available on our website and we encourage applicants to check out our team values. We expect all employees to demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion, including contributing to a culture that celebrates all forms of diversity.
We know many candidates bring a full complement of experience, skills and ideas, even if they don’t check every box of a job description. If you meet many of our criteria, please don’t hesitate to apply. Every application will get serious consideration, including those with skill sets we may not have included here. We welcome all applicants who will bring a unique perspective and personal characteristics to our amazing team.
- At least five years’ experience of web development and database management, preferably in a small team environment or non-profit; demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of web design and development process.
- A thorough understanding of technology strategies for UX best practices, web security requirements, and search engine optimization; working knowledge of HTML, XHTML, CSS design.
- Proven experience in developing and maintaining websites, web applications and databases, including in-depth knowledge of Salesforce products and their functionalities.
- Significant project management experience, with a track record of delivering on objectives.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple vendors, timelines, and budgets.
- G Suite proficiency is necessary, as well as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Fluent user of WordPress, Basecamp 3, Slack, Trello, Google Analytics, Google Suite, Office Suite.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Journalism experience is a plus.
ONA hires, supports, compensates and promotes regardless of race, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or veteran status.