The Online News Association (ONA) is seeking a Communications Consultant to help showcase ONA and connect digital journalists to opportunities to improve their work and the industry. We’re looking for someone highly motivated and focused, with strong project management skills and a keen attention to detail. This job will be perfect for someone wanting to apply their digital media skills, contribute creative ideas and support the global journalism community.
With over 3,200 members worldwide, ONA is the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists. Our mission is to inspire and support innovation and excellence among digital journalists to better serve the public. We believe journalism builds a more informed society that leads to a stronger democracy.
Driven by a dynamic staff and Board of Directors, ONA is one of the leading organizations providing training through our conferences, fellowships and local groups.
The Communications Consultant works with the Communications Manager to tell the story of ONA’s work and mission. You are a sharp, creative communicator with demonstrated success producing compelling digital content for organizations. In this role, you will manage ONA’s social media presence and develop digital content for a variety of initiatives, including ONA’s 20th anniversary, the annual Online News Association Conference and the Online Journalism Awards.
- Audit of ONA’s existing social media channels and strategies to streamline and improve performance, in coordination with the Communications Manager.
- Regular content across ONA’s social media channels — including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram — to showcase ONA’s programs, events, community members and curated practical resources for digital journalists.
- Email campaigns such as targeted outreach for events, ONA Weekly and other seasonal or pop-up newsletters.
- Insightful and actionable biweekly and quarterly reports on social media and email outreach activities.
- Occasional web content such as blog posts for journalists.org and conference microsites.
Compensation: Negotiable based on deliverables
Works with: Communications Manager
- Strong English writing and editing skills
- Experience managing an organization’s social media accounts and promoting engagement online
- Experience producing visual content for social media (e.g. graphics, Stories, photo slideshows, etc.)
- Enthusiasm to identify and experiment with new ways to connect with the ONA community online
- Familiarity with digital analytics and ability to present data and conclusions in an organized, concise manner
- Familiarity with the emerging trends and issues affecting digital journalists
- Ability to collaborate and interact with colleagues remotely
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator skills a plus
Applications open through April 26, 2019.