Are people often amazed by your thoughtfulness and attention to detail? Do you value building processes, systems and keeping people organized? Are you passionate about mission-driven causes? If you answered yes to these questions, then keep reading. The Online News Association (ONA) is looking for an entry-level Administrative Assistant to join our team.
With over 3,200 members worldwide, ONA is the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists. Our mission is to inspire innovation and excellence among digital journalists to better serve the public. We believe journalism builds a more informed society that leads to a stronger democracy.
Driven by a dynamic staff and Board of Directors, ONA is one of the leading organizations providing digital training through our conferences, fellowships and local groups. We offer excellent benefits and a flexible hybrid work environment with the option to work from home.
We are now looking to expand our team with this new entry-level position.
As our first administrative assistant, you’ll help the team with membership and event support, record-keeping, office management and special projects. You’ll work closely with the Executive Director to create an organization-wide administrative process.
- Supporting staff and the Executive Director with general operational tasks, including daily mail correspondence.
- Scheduling and organizing activities such as meetings, travel, conferences and special events.
- Maintaining office equipment and monitoring supply inventory.
- Performing basic bookkeeping activities and data entry.
- Providing event support for registration, attendee communications and onsite staff.
- Assist in writing various internal communications such as reports and responding to support email requests.
Benefits: Paid medical, dental, vision and vacation; 401K plan
Hours: Full-Time; partial remote schedule
Location: NPR’s Washington D.C. office and virtually, applicants must be able to work from the D.C. office at least two to three times a week.
Reports to: Executive Director
Works closely with: Head of Programs and Events
Direct Report: None
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with complex file management
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Detail-oriented and exceptional organizational skills
- Strong problem solver and analytical thinker
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- High level of individual initiative required, including the ability to work with limited supervision, resolve practical problems independently, multitask and prioritize activities
- Ability to travel overnight with occasional weekends, up to 30% travel
- Journalism experience, or experience working with journalists a definite plus
- Events experience a plus
What can you expect from joining ONA? You’ll join…
- A team that’s passionate about making a difference.
- An organization that’s committed to your personal and professional growth.
- A community of collaborators, innovators and people who care about creating better society.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Applications open through Wednesday, April 18.