To qualify for consideration by the Nominating Committee as a Director on the ONA Board, nominees must demonstrate a past or current commitment to ONA. Activities can include serving as an active member of a committee, event or initiative, and/or a commitment to online journalism by having been active within his or her place of employment, within the digital news business or within a related field.
To be considered, an ONA member must be nominated by another ONA member. Both parties must be ONA members in good standing. (Join or renew here.)
Candidates also are assessed based on their commitment to the organization’s principles, their organizational affiliation, demonstrated leadership qualities and capacity to fundraise for the organization.
In evaluating the overall slate, the committee seeks to balance the following considerations:
- Diversity reflective of the communities that journalism serves
- Diversity of media interests
- Membership class (professional, academic or associate)
- Type of experience in digital media
- Executive or leadership experience
- Stature in the field, through work, writing, public speaking, leadership of an organization, or involvement in other digital or media organizations
- Fundraising capacity