Welcome to the first iteration of the new journalists.org.
There are lots of new features to share, but let’s just turn your gaze for a minute to the new logo, because those circles represent you, our members and colleagues, the best minds in digital journalism connecting, creating and innovating.
We like to think of this as push/pull site. We’ll be pushing out new content that speaks to the interests of our membership — everything from featured members and networking, to tools and tech reviews, to briefings on the industry’s bigger issues. And given that our membership itself is our biggest and best resource (anyone see a theme here?), we will be pulling this impressive group together, connecting and building our community, making it easy for you to find and share with each other. And us.
Each day, you’ll see a feature designed to give you information you can use, curated from our members:
- Tools & Tech: The tools are out there, but it can be hard to find the best one to use for the job. Check out the mix of free tools, shareware and open-source solutions available for your personal toolkit. Don’t forget to leave your comments and ratings for others. (This is a members-only feature.)
- Featured Member: Our membership teems with amazing journalists on and off the radar. Each week, we’ll profile a member for insights into the challenges, joys, tools and their daily work — as well as a six-word memoir and favorite fictional character.
- Job Board: Our revamped and user-friendly job listings make finding your next job or employee faster and more efficient. (A members-only feature.)
- Briefing Room: Journalism’s growing pains mean managing big changes and their fallout at a lightning-fast pace. We don’t have all the answers, so we’ll curate the best thinking from experts in a variety of fields to demystify the pressing subjects of the day. Then, we turn it over to you.
- Just the Apps, Ma’am: A no-frills look at a helpful marketplace tool.
- Test Drive: Don’t have time to try out that new gadget? Latoya Peterson will do it for you, offering how-tos and a bottom-line critique.
As we experiment and grow, we’ll be expanding our Job Board, partnering with our tech colleagues to bring you the latest developments and, most important, listening to you to find out what works and what doesn’t.
So dive in — fill out your member profiles, reset your password, search for and connect with friends, share Big Thoughts, try out some new tools. We’re honored to have you as as part of the ONA community and look forward to seeing where you’ll be taking journalism.